- Administration looking for Chinese help to narrow trade gap and boost US jobs.
- Advertisers are getting cheaper rates than a year ago on television commercials.
- Aetna 2Q profit dropped to $346.6M due to greater commercial expenses and cuts full year forecast.
- Asian markets were higher Monday on hopes for further earnings recovery, Nikkei hits 10,000 mark.
- China's new small-company stock exchange gets 108 IPO applicants on 1st day as launch nears.
- China shares up for 4th day on high liquidity-driven sentiment, led by metals and airlines.
- Euro rises to $1.4263 in European morning trade as investors continue to leave dollar.
- EU says Iceland's entry talks will likely be simpler, shorter than others.
- German consumer confidence rises amid lower prices and stable job market.
- Oil rises above $68 in Asia as economic recovery hopes fuel 3-week rally.
- US Economy probably shrank at slower pace, signaling recession abated.
- US stock futures point to higher open ahead of earnings, new home sales update.
- Aetna Inc. puts its pharmacy-benefit management business on the block.
- ArcelorMittal exploring a JV spin off of its stainless steel business, est. $3B.
- Citigroup trader is pressing it to honor a 2009 pay package that could total $100M.
- Corning's June net income declines from $3.2B to $611M.
- De Beers qtrly net drops 99%; but sees sales of uncut diamonds improving.
- Eastman Chem beats by $0.15, posts Q2 EPS of $0.86. Revs fell 31.7% to $1.25B.
- Ericsson to buy Nortel's North American Wireless unit for $1.13B.
- Fortune Brands' net falls 27% on continued weakness in home-products segment.
- Honeywell's June net income declines from $723M to $450M.
- Julius Baer profit falls 47% to $204.3 million as managed assets slump.
- MSFT bows to pressure, gives European users of Windows choice of Web browsers.
- Pearson raises earnings guidance for 2009, shares rise 9 percent to top FTSE.
- RadioShack 2nd-quarter profit rises to $48.8 million as company trims expenses.
- Verizon added 1.1M customers in Q2 vs. 1.4M added by AT&T in the same period.
- Virgin Blue of Australia airline reports losses, launches capital raising of $189M.
- Volkswagen plans to raise up to $5.7B via rights issue to fund purchase of Porsche.
Recent Egan-Jones Rating Actions
SCHLUMBERGER LTD (SLB)
FORTUNE BRANDS INC (FO)
DELUXE CORP (DLX)
FOOT LOCKER INC (FL)
AMAZON.COM INC (AMZN)
AMERICAN EXPRESS CO (AXP)
CIT GROUP INC (CIT)
BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB CO (BMY)
AIRTRAN HOLDINGS INC (AAI)
VF CORP (VFC)
NABORS INDUSTRIES LTD (NBR)
UNITEDHEALTH GROUP INC (UNH)
BOEING CO/THE (BA)